Sunday, July 27, 2014

July 27 (Acts 18:9-10)

And the Lord said to Paul one night in a vision, “Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent,  for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you, for I have many in this city who are my people.”  (ESV)

Not many of us have the courage of Paul to speak the truth about Jesus in the face of deadly opposition.  I wilt like a sun-baked flower if I think people will not like me.  Yet even Paul needed encouragement from God, and how did the Lord strengthen him?  He reminded him that he was not alone, that there were brothers and sisters in Christ who had his back and would stand with him.

I experienced this not long ago.  At a conference of educators, I discovered that several were believers.  They did not wear this information on their shirts, but it came out in subtle ways, and when it did, I was encouraged to be bolder in speaking about my faith.

Draw strength from those in your work, in your neighborhood, in your groups who, like you, serve Jesus Christ.  Do not hesitate to speak the truth in love.  In addition to sharing the gospel with someone who needs to hear it, you may be encouraging other Christians who need support to be bold.

Lord, You were brave enough to face death for me.  Help me be brave to share Your love with those around me.  May my life be a light to those in darkness and encourage fellow Christians to be the same.  In the name of Christ Jesus, I pray.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.