Sunday, August 3, 2014

August 3 (Acts 28:30-31)

He lived there two whole years at his own expense, and welcomed all who came to him, proclaimingthe kingdom of God and teaching about the Lord Jesus Christ with all boldness and without hindrance.  (ESV)

These are the last words in the New Testament about Paul.  The life of one of the most important people in establishing our faith ends with these words.  Think of them as his obituary or epitaph.

We always want to get the last word in a conversation.  The last word is the summary, the definitive statement.  If you know anything about Paul, then these verses in Acts seem entirely appropriate.  After his conversion, every act of his life was about proclaiming the gospel with boldness.  You probably know where this is going.

What would the final statement on your life say?  It is true that we each have our own calling and that not everyone is meant to do things the way Paul did them.  Yet sharing the good news of Jesus is what we are all about.  How we go about it is unique to each person, but that we go about it is not up for question.  Would the essence, if not the exact words, of these verses be appropriate to describe your life?


Father, of all the accolades and awards in my life, the one I truly care about is hearing You say to me, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”  Help me to do all and only that which You would have me do.  Give me the grace and strength to live the life You want me to live.  In the name of Jesus, Who with You and the Holy Spirit reigns as Lord of all, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.