Sunday, August 17, 2014

August 17 (Ephesians 4:1)

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called.  (ESV)

There are certain occupations for which we expect people to act a certain way.  People in those occupations may find it burdensome at times, but the simple fact is that we just do not like it when a teacher gets drunk in public or a senator fools around with a staffer, and while other occupations may be just as important in our lives, we do not have the same reaction to the misbehavior of our auto mechanic or garbage collector.

Consider now the calling on everyone who has become a new creation in Jesus Christ.  We walk on earth as the sons and daughters of God, heirs along with Jesus to the glorious riches of heaven.  Even the atheist knows that people who believe this to be true should act differently from those who do not.

Paul adds one other piece to this message.  He points out that he is reminding us of our duty from his position as a prisoner.  He is suffering precisely for walking in a manner worthy of his calling.  Go to Google images right now and search on the phrase “ISIS Christians.”  You will see what is happening to our brothers and sisters in Iraq.  Let their faces and mangled bodies stand in for Paul.  Let his words come from their mouths.

Almighty God, I am not worthy of the calling to which I have been called, but You have made me so through the blood of Jesus.  Forgive me, Father, when I fail to honor that call.  Give me the strength to live as You have called me to live, as Paul lived, as our martyred brothers and sisters are living today.  Bless those under persecution.  May their witness turn the hearts of their torturers and murderers to You.  In the name of Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world, I pray.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.