Sunday, August 24, 2014

August 24 (Acts 20:20-21)


I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you in public and from house to house, testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.  (ESV)

This is an amazing description of what true evangelism looks like.  It makes my milquetoast efforts laughable.  First, Paul was not embarrassed to say whatever it took if he thought it would help someone know Jesus.  Second, he did not hesitate to speak anywhere, both in public and in private.  Third, he was willing to talk with anyone, both his own people who knew him and had some background on which he could build and those who were strangers to him and knew nothing of what he was preaching.

Look at each of these in your own life.  Are there some things you are unwilling to say, even if you know they are right and would help a person, simply because they are unpopular?  Are there places where you will not talk about matters of faith, perhaps because you have been told that it is just not appropriate in such a circumstance?  Are there people with whom you will not speak about Jesus because you feel awkward or uncertain?

I could spend all day responding to these questions because I have so many answers to them.  Sadly, there is nothing I will not say about, nowhere I will not describe, and no one with whom I will not share my favorite pizza joint.


Jesus, I want so much to be like Paul.  Help me to grow up and be mature in the faith, even if it costs me some relational capital or embarrassment.  Give me the strength to live out Your call on my life.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.