Sunday, August 31, 2014

August 31 (1 Corinthians 2:2)

For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.  (ESV)

When our children were little, they had toy versions of various adult items like dishes or tools.  It fascinated me that, when given the opportunity to play with the toy version or the real thing, they went for the real thing every time.

It is easy to get caught up in various aspects of the faith.  We enjoy our favorite Christian bands, get excited over a new type of study Bible, or want a cross necklace for our birthday.  None of these things are bad, mind you, and I am right in the thick of all that.  Yet none of that, to say nothing of whether or not we liked the sermon or this week’s worship music, can be the center of our lives.  Every once in a while, it is good to put aside the things of the faith to focus on the One in Whom our faith is rooted.

In addition to sin and the general distractions of life, what good, even helpful things, may be drawing your attention away from Jesus?

Lord, I want to dwell so fully on You and You alone that I see everything through You.  May You be the lens through which I see the world.  In the name of Jesus, in Whom I live and move and have my being, amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.