Sunday, September 14, 2014

September 14 (Exodus 3:14, John 8:58)

“Say this to the people of Israel, I am has sent me to you.’”  (ESV)
Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”  (ESV)

Pulitzer-winning author and professor of cognitive science Douglas Hofstadter has spent his career exploring analogies.  He has observed that all of our thinking comes down to saying this is that.  He and many others have determined that when we look out our window, we do not just see tall, brown, and green.  Our brain processes these visual inputs as a tree.  Nothing ever just is.  Everything is always something.

This is indeed how you and I process our world.  It is central to who we are, and for that reason, these two verses about God are all the more extraordinary.  While it is true that God is loving, powerful, and good, at His core He simply is.  In this life I must identify myself as something.  I am a husband, a father, a teacher.  God is.  I am an American and I am a writer.  God is.  I am a Christian.  God is.

Do you see the difference?  We add more and more adjectives and nouns to our description, striving to get close to an identity.  God simply is, and for this reason, I can worship Him.  To worship anything else is idolatry.

Father, I cannot begin to comprehend You.  I can only accept You as You are, and when I do, I fall on my knees in joyful adoration.  You are, and I am Yours through Jesus, Who with You and the Holy Spirit, simply is.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.