Sunday, September 28, 2014

September 28 (Psalm 38:5)

My wounds stink and fester because of my foolishness.  (ESV)

King David has increasingly become one of my favorite people in the Bible.  He does great things and sins mightily, often from one minute to the next, and lays everything, both good and bad, before God.  How brutally honest is this verse?  No wonder God called him a man after His own heart.

Tired?  Beat down and stressed?  Fearful, filled with anxiety, or overwhelmed with worry?  Be honest for a moment and ask yourself just how much of all that is the result of your own foolishness.  I know half…okay, scratch that, seventy-five percent…oh, whom am I kidding, darn near all of the stress and pressure in my life I put there myself whether through sin or foolish lack of faith in God.

So what does David do in a situation where we all find ourselves sometimes?  He confesses his fault to God.  He lays it right out there and begs for help.  Read the rest of this psalm and you will get an idea of how a flawed man after God’s own heart lives a faithful life.

Jesus, I am worn out with the stupid way I live my own life.  I live foolishly and, yes, I yield to sin time and again.  Restore me, Lord.  Heal me.  Grab hold of my head and turn me to face You.  Truly, You are all I ever want.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.