Sunday, June 21, 2015

June 21 (Matthew 7:9-11)

Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent?  If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!  (ESV)


I love it when our children steal French fries from me at a restaurant.  Every dad does.  When my dad was still alive and our children were really little, he loved it, too, and as a dad I know he loved it when as a boy I did it to him.  We want good things for our children.  We want them to have a good life, and we will do everything in our power to help them achieve it.

And we don’t know the half of it.  We think we love our children, but it does not hold a candle to how our heavenly Father feels about us.  To be honest, I understand the Father’s love even less as a dad, because I know just how boundless is the love for my children.  I cannot fathom a love greater than that, yet Jesus tells us that His love is infinitely greater than mine.

So, what are you waiting for?  Whatever it is, share it with your Father in heaven.  Confess it, cry about it, excitedly show it to Him, ask Him for help with it, talk with Him about it.  He loves you more than any earthly father ever could.

Father, thank You for Your unending love.  Even as an adult, I need You, my Dad, to be with me in all things.  Thank You for the grace that allows us to have the best Father-child relationship imaginable.  In the name of Jesus, Who made it possible, amen.

Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.