Sunday, June 7, 2015

June 7 (Ecclesiastes 2:26)

For to the one who pleases him God has given wisdom and knowledge and joy, but to the sinner he has given the business of gathering and collecting….  (ESV)


‘Tis the season of garage sales.  Everywhere you look, people are clearing out their clutter.  Our family is no different, and it goes something like this.  We take items from one room and put them in another to sort them…keep, sell, throw away.  Then we take the items to the driveway, arrange them, and label them with prices.  Stuff that does not sell we may keep if a friend is having a garage sale soon.  When all is said and done, unsold items go to Goodwill.

I hate it.  I hate how much of my life is spent shuttling items from place A to place B.  Whether it is for a garage sale or just general cleaning up, I often feel shackled by my possessions, overwhelmed with my stuff.  How many people in the modern world feel the same way?

Put your lifestyle against this verse from Ecclesiastes.  Is gathering and collecting stuff really what God wants for us?  If we focused on obtaining wisdom, knowledge, and joy, would we ever sell them on the cheap or wonder why we had them in the first place?

Father, You freely give me all that is truly worth having, yet I labor and sweat for things that choke my life.  Help me to seek only the highest good in You.  Save me from my own worst tendencies and anything that would hinder me from living the genuinely abundant life in Jesus.  In His name I pray, amen.

Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins



No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.