Sunday, May 31, 2015

May 31 (Proverbs 29:11)

A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.  (ESV)

Facebook.  Twitter.  Instagram.  All social media proves the truth of this proverb.  Now think about the break room at work, the hallways of the local high school, and the Starbucks where you meet a friend.  Is this proverb right, or is it right?

It has always been tempting for people to say whatever is on their minds the moment it lights up their brains, and today it is easier than ever to share that thought with the world.  It is natural.  Everyone is talking about something, and we want to be part of the conversation.

Yet consider this.  Does it really need to be said?  I know, I know.  You thought it, so it must be wonderful, but before you hit enter ask yourself if it really, truly needs to be said.  Does it honor God or make you look cool?  Does it help people see the truth of the matter or pour gasoline on a raging fire?  Is anyone the better for your sharing it?

Father, it is so easy for me to want to comment on everything going on around me.  There is much that I know is displeasing to You.  Help me to know when to speak and when to be silent.  If You want me to speak about something, give me the words that reflect Your love and Your will.  May I never speak rashly my own opinion just so I can be somebody in the eyes of the world.  Amen.

Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.