Sunday, May 17, 2015

May 17 (Colossians 2:6)

Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, justas you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.  (ESV)

Certain little weeds or bits of grass will get into the mulched area around our shrubs, but they are easy to pull out.  I grip them close to the soil, and with a gentle tug they quickly come loose.  Dandelions are not among them.  Those guys have strong roots.  I have to get the weed puller with spikes that go deep below the dirt to get them out.

When it comes to our faith, we want to be like the dandelions.  Better still, we want to be like oak trees.  We want our roots to be so deep in Jesus that nothing, not ill health, not tragedy, not job stress, not job loss, not relational difficulties, not death itself, can shake us.

In the spring many people tend to their flowers and lawns and gardens.  We apply treatments so everything will grow well.  How are your roots?

Jesus, I want nothing to separate me from You.  I know that nothing can separate You from me, but too often I let distractions or reliance on my own strength weaken my roots.  May all that I do come from deep, unshakable connectedness with You.  Amen.

Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.