Sunday, May 10, 2015

May 10 (Proverbs 18:2)

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, in expressing his opinion.  (ESV)

Social media is incontrovertible proof that this verse is true.  We all have opinions, of course, but not every thought that passes through our minds needs to be expressed.  Yes, we need to share the gospel.  Yes, we need to stand for what is right and against what is wrong.  Yet as Ecclesiastes 3:1 reminds us, there is a time for every purpose under heaven.

So how do you know whether or not to comment on that post on Facebook?  How do you know if you should speak that delicious thought with your colleagues?  The answer is simple.  Don’t do it.  No matter what, don’t do it until you have paused for a moment and listened to the guiding of the Holy Spirit.  As Jesus promised, He will lead you into wisdom.

And that brings us to the first part of this verse.  The truly wise person seeks understanding, and this more often comes from questions and listening than from trumpeting our own opinions.

Lord, show me when to speak and when to be silent.  When I speak, may it be what you want me to say, whether a question or a statement, rather than my own opinion.  Wisdom and understanding are what I truly seek, not popularity or fame.  In Jesus’s name, amen.

Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.