Sunday, July 19, 2015

Weed Pulling

July 19 (Matthew 13:27)


And the servants of the master of the house came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have weeds?’  (ESV)


Our neighbors on either side of us are retired and keep immaculate lawns.  At this point, a weed would not so much as dare to grow in their yards.  At our house, weeds feel more comfortable.  In fact, they seem to invite their friends.  They undoubtedly feel welcome because we are not diligent about getting rid of them, spraying against them, and applying the proper lawn treatments at the right times of the year.

It had rained recently, and the soil was soft, so I took the opportunity to attack some of the weeds, carefully pulling them so they came out root and all.  It struck me that they came out much more easily when the soil was soft.  When the ground is hard, there is simply no pulling out a weed.  You can break off the stem, but you cannot pull out the roots.

The same is true in our lives.  When our hearts become hard, the habits of sin can take root, and it is difficult to remove them.  Our hardness causes us to think that we do not have a problem and that there is no need to address certain issues.  When our hearts are soft, however, we can more easily get down to the root of sins and habits in order to remove them completely.

Jesus, keep my heart soft with Your love and grace.  Busyness and the desire to do things my way make my heart hard.  With Your help, I want to remove all the weeds that threaten to choke out Your life in me.  Amen.

Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.