Sunday, August 23, 2015

Freedom Without Condemnation

August 23 (Romans 8:1)


There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  (ESV)


I am a driven person.  Everything, all the time, and to perfection…that’s how it is with me.  As a result, I do not take my failures very well.  Even something as simple as forgetting a trivial task leads to swift self-condemnation.  Perhaps you know the feeling.

This is, of course, pointless.  Jesus Himself offers no condemnation, none.  He is there with infinite love and grace to support us whenever we need.  We should have been condemned for our sins, but He took the punishment.  Our debt has been cleared.  Our slate is clean.

Can you imagine the freedom of living in the truth that you do not have to be perfect?  How wonderful would it be to realize that when your boss gets angry at you, when friends or family are disappointed in you, even when you want to condemn yourself for some shortcoming, Jesus does none of those.  He looks at you and says, “You are forgiven, my friend.  Let’s try it again.”

Jesus, help me to lose control of my life.  I want to live in the freedom that You offer me.  I need help, though.  It is so easy to grab the reins and try to direct everything myself.  Today I accept the glorious gift of grace without condemnation in You.  Amen.


Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.