Sunday, August 2, 2015

What To Do Today

August 2 (Ecclesiastes 12:13)


Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.  (ESV)


King Solomon, renowned for his wisdom, has just spent eleven chapters exploring the meaning of life.  It makes sense that people would want to flip to the end to see what his final discovery could be, and he does not disappoint.  Fear God, keep His commandments, the end.

Life is often filled with difficult decisions.  Which college should I attend?  Should I take the job with the higher salary that is farther away, or should I take the job closer to home and make a little less?  Do I pursue this relationship or bring it to an end?  These are not unimportant questions, but they and a host of others can consume our lives.  The next thing you know, you are lost in the weeds confusion, worry, and stress.

Living life based on Solomon’s conclusion will not necessarily make it easier, but it will make it right.  Unless our relationship with God is at the center of our lives, which means it shapes all our decisions and actions, our lives will quickly become a mess. 

Jesus, nothing is more important to me than my relationship with You, not my agenda for this day or my plans for the future.  Protect me from distractions that would draw my attention away from You and Your will for my life.  Amen.

Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.