Sunday, January 17, 2016

The Path To Joy

January 17 (Psalm 16:11)


You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand arepleasures forevermore.


At a recent gathering of Christian leaders, we shared our wishes for the coming year, both for ourselves and for our church.  It was beautiful to see the hearts of so many people focused on Jesus and His mission for us in the world.  Yet when it came to what we wished for ourselves, more than just a few talked about the need for margin and the desire to walk more closely and intentionally with our Lord.

The interconnectedness of modern life, our ability to do so many different things in any given day, responsibilities and enticements…they wear a person down.  Complexity seems both the order and the burden of the day.  Now take a look at the words from this psalm.  God has made quite clear to each of us the path of life.  In His presence there is fullness of joy.  At His right hand is true pleasure.  That’s it.  There really is nothing more to it than that.

With our backs turned to Him, walking away from Eden, we have made a twisted confusion of life.  When we turn back to Him, we see Jesus, arms wide, welcoming us into the joy of God.  As it always is with God, the choice is simple, and the choice is ours.  In which direction will you walk?

Lord, I honestly do not know why I make some of the choices I do.  Help me to tune out the call of the world and the lies of the enemy and hear only the sweetness of Your voice.  I want to dwell in the joy of Your presence, not only for myself, but so that the light of my life may draw others to You.  In the name of Jesus, my savior and the true source of all life, amen.


Copyright © 2016 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.