Sunday, January 31, 2016

Some Kind of Wonderful

January 31 (Isaiah 9:6)


…and his name shall be called Wonderful....  (KJV)



It was a few minutes before the start our worship, people were coming in and finding their seats, and all of a sudden our praise team started up a song that was, well, unexpected.  It was Grand Funk Railroad’s “Some Kind of Wonderful.”  Our pastor waved everyone to their feet, as if that were necessary, and I was rocking out to the altered lyrics, “My Jesus, He’s all right.  My Savior, He’s clean out of sight.”  (The lyrics were changed by Grand Funk guitarist Mark Farner after he came to follow Christ.)

Why is Jesus wonderful, other than that the Bible says so?  Is He wonderful because He died so you would not have to?  Is He wonderful because He speaks to you?  Is He wonderful because He leads you through challenges, stays with you in dark times, and comforts you when and in ways no one else can?  Why is Jesus wonderful?  Is He wonderful because He set the world into motion?  Is He wonderful because He has created beauty in the depths of the oceans and in the far-flung reaches of space?  Is He wonderful because is the bridge for all people to be reunited with God?

Take a moment and think about it.  Why do you think Jesus is wonderful?  As the infinite number of reasons begins to unfold before the eyes of your heart, you will be drawn into worship.  You won’t be able to help yourself.  If you find yourself worshiping in a lukewarm way, or only rarely, or not at all, reflect on how Jesus has shown Himself to be wonderful to you.  You will be rocking His praise in no time.

Lord, I want to take some time right now to honor You by recalling what You have done in the world and in my life.  I spend too much time in my day and even in my prayers thinking about myself.  Call to my mind Your glory and Your amazing deeds.  I want my heart to be filled with nothing but You.  In the name of Jesus, my Savior, amen.


Copyright © 2016 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.