Sunday, January 15, 2017

Raw And Honest With God

January 15 (Psalm 143:4, 6-7)


I am losing all hope;

     I am paralyzed with fear.

I lift my hands to you in prayer.  

          I thirst for you as parched land thirsts for rain.

Come quickly, Lord, and answer me,    for my depression deepens.

    Don’t turn away from me,    or I will die.  (NLT)


We all need to be reminded of God’s love, but we also need to be reminded of something else.  We put on so many pretenses with others, acting as if things are okay when they really are not.  It’s just the way we get through the day, but we don’t have to do that with God.  You don’t have to do that with God.

The man writing these words was David, the greatest king in Israel’s history, a person described as a man after God’s own heart, and an ancestor of Jesus.  Think about that.  This is the same man who flat out admits he is losing hope and is paralyzed with fear.  Have you ever felt that way?  He begs for God to come quickly because of his deepening depression.  Have you ever been there?  He knows that if he does not see God, he will die.  Sound familiar?

If you have ever felt like this, you are in good company.  If you are surprised to find this in the Bible, then perhaps your image of God and a relationship with Him is skewed.  We cannot admit every private challenge and emotional struggle at work.  Sometimes we have to put on a happy face that masks the truth.  We never have to do this with God.  We can lay out the pain and the ugliness in the most blunt possible way with Him.  Try it.  Call out to Him with your true heart.  Write to Him in your journal with words you would never use in public.  You do not need to impress Him.  He loves you and wants to hear from you, the true you.

This week’s devotion does not conclude with a prayer from me.  It needs to conclude with a prayer from you.  Avoid the churchy language.  Get real and raw with Him.  There is nothing so shameful or painful that you can say that He does not already know.  He wants to help.  Go to Him.

Copyright © 2017 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.