Sunday, January 1, 2017

When Life Gets In The Way

January 1 (Romans 8:38)


Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.  (NLT)


I hope the new year brings the prospect of joy and renewed dreams for you.  That is certainly what we tend to focus on…goals, plans, looking ahead with the fresh eagerness of embarking on a new adventure.  Yet let’s be honest.  For some of us, the prospect is simply holding old fears at bay.  In fact, the barbarians of anxiety may already be massing at our gates.

I confess that I have always read this verse by focusing on the first and last parts.  I read it as a verse that spoke mostly about the end of my days and the confidence I could have in facing death.  But look more closely.  It also says that life cannot get in the way, “neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow.”

When we speak of life getting in the way, we usually mean the buildup of daily responsibilities that keeps us from doing what we want.  The day-to-day activities of our lives often separate us from family and friends.  They cannot separate us from God.  In fact, He is right there in the midst of everything, our dreams and our fears.  What an amazing thought!  Our dreams for the new year are not ours to accomplish alone, and our fears are not terrors we must face by ourselves.


Jesus, I need You at the start of this year.  There is much that lies ahead, both good and bad, things I can see, things I can only imagine, and things I fear and hope will never happen.  Help me to walk closely with You through it all.  May my confidence to face life this year be based on the fact nothing can separate me from You.  Amen.


Copyright © 2017 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.