Sunday, February 5, 2017

Staying Close To God

February 5 (Hebrews 3:13)


You must warn each other every day, while it is still “today,” so that none of you will be deceived by sin and hardened against God.  (ESV)


There was a time when you were healthy and in shape.  For me it was probably when hair metal was new and MTV was young.  You may be incredibly fit right now, and if so, good for you.  Know this, though.  It may not last.  You will go through a sedentary season.  You will drift into bad eating habits and the next thing you know, you will have to start that workout plan and diet all over again.

The same is true for those who follow Christ.  We are overwhelmed with His love and grace and would do anything for Him.  We read our Bible daily, pray regularly, and praise Him throughout the day.  And then those little compromises start.  I can watch that show, check out that website, indulge in that bit of gossip.  After yielding to anger or greed or pride enough times, my heart hardens, and God seems a million miles away.

How close are you with God right now?  If there is a distance between the two of you, look at your life.  Have you fallen into bad habits?  Remember, He doesn’t move.  We do.  Fortunately, we can always turn back to Him, and a distance of a million miles is crossed in an instant when we accept His love and forgiveness and renounce the sin in our lives.


Lord, I do not want to become hardened against You.  Show me the places where I have let sin creep into my life.  Show me where I have willingly sinned and help me get back to a life lived in and for You.  Truly, You are my everything.  In the name of Jesus, my Savior, amen.  


Copyright © 2017 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.