Sunday, March 19, 2017

A Lie From Hell

March 19 (1 Corinthians 12:15)


If the foot says, “I am not a part of the body because I am not a hand,” that does not make it any less a part of the body.  (ESV)


Be honest.  You really didn’t do anything to help, did you?  The rest of the team is just being nice when they say you played an important role, but we know that is not true.  It really would not have mattered if you had not been there at all.

Sound familiar?  It is the lie straight from the pits of hell that every single one of us hears.  It is the lie that says you are not good enough, do not do enough, and are unwanted.  Now look at that lie through the clear light of truth that we find in Scripture.  We are one body in Christ, and each of us has a role to play.  Just as it would be ridiculous for a foot to worry that it cannot grip a baseball the way a hand can, so it is needless for us to worry about our lives in comparison with others’.

Make no mistake.  This is not the feel-good message we hear in our culture, which is a narcissistic, self-idolizing attempt to make ourselves feel like number one.  You have worth because you are a child of God.  What you do with the gifts He has given you has value because they are His gifts, and He did not bestow them randomly or without purpose.

Father, I often hear that voice telling me that others are better or that I have not really done anything of importance.  Speak to me through the Holy Spirit and draw me back to the truth of Scripture whenever a lie from the enemy seeks to gain entrance into my heart.  Thank You for redeeming me by the blood of Jesus Christ and for equipping me to do what You want me to do in this life.  May my service always be pleasing to you.  Amen.


Copyright © 2017 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.