Sunday, March 12, 2017

Thirsting For God



March 11 (Psalm 63:1)



O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
    my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
    as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
  (ESV)



Do you desire Him as you desire nothing else?  Do you long for Him?  Can you not wait to get into His presence?  I have tried many things to escape from the pressures and pains of life…movies, television, books, free phone app games whose appeal lasts for a couple of weeks before I need to find a new one.  Many have tried other, more destructive things.  There is nothing that satisfies like time in the presence of God.


How do I know that?  I know it for the same reason that the psalmist knew it.  He goes on to say in verse 7, “for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.”  He speaks from experience.  If even one time in your life you have experienced the help, the love, the support of Christ Jesus, then you have reason to sing for joy.  Chances are, you have tasted of those blessings more than once.


So, stop.  Right now.  Just stop for a few minutes and soak in His presence.  If you need help getting there, read all of Psalm 63.  Read it slowly.  Let Him speak to you.  Hear the words of Scripture or hymns or praise songs well up in your heart.  There is no self-medicating activity that comes close to restoring your soul.


Oh, Lord, You have been so good to me.  I have often strayed from You, but You have always been there for me, loving me, seeking me even when I was looking somewhere else.  Draw the eyes of my heart to Your glorious face.  I want to be filled with the holy presence of my Lord Jesus, in Whose name I pray. Amen.



Copyright © 2017 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.