Sunday, June 25, 2017

Imitating Jesus

June 25 (1 Corinthians 11:1)


Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.  (ESV)


James Dean spawned a legion of young men who tried to look tough by adopting his signature look.  Girls did the same thing with Madonna’s fashions in the 1980s.  Countless athletes try to mimic their favorite sports figures.  This is why companies want celebrity endorsements.  They know that we all imitate others, and if the ones we imitate wear certain clothes, drive certain cars, or eat certain foods, their followers will do the same.

Paul invited the Corinthians to imitate him, which in his case meant imitating Christ Jesus.  So what does that mean?  First of all, it means studying Him closely.  Ardent fans can tell you the most obscure details about their favorite stars.  What do you know about Jesus?  What kind of man is He?  What are His interests, His personality, His desires?

Me?  I’m a music lover, and nothing gets me more pumped than seeing a favorite artist perform live with the hope of maybe getting to meet the person and catching a selfie with him.  You start finding out who Jesus is by reading about Him in the Bible, but then you need to meet Him in person.  You see, He really did rise from the dead.  He really does live today.  He invites each person into an intimate relationship with Him.  If you want to imitate Him the way Paul did, you have to get to know him.


Jesus, I want to know You better.  I want to know You more personally.  At times I have considered You just one more historical figure rather than my living brother, friend, and savior.  Show me Who You really are because I want to be more like You.  Amen.


Copyright © 2017 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.