Sunday, May 8, 2011

May 8 (Revelation 2:4-5)

Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works… (KJV)

I can still remember what it was like when I first fell in love with Jesus. In the summer between 8th and 9th grade, I was baptized. In those years, and those that immediately followed, I was passionate about my faith. I loved reading the Bible. Christian music was all I listened to. My thoughts were constantly on God and how I could live a life faithful to Him.

Do you remember what it was like? Can you recall the white-hot passion you felt when your faith was new? How long has it been since you felt that way? In the decades that have followed my first love, my relationship with Christ has gone up and down. I have drifted, come back, drifted, come back. He, however, has never changed. He still stands at the door and knocks.

The verses for today are quite clear. If you have drifted, stop where you are. Remember what you once knew and felt. Repent and start again. Our Lord is always eager for us to renew our relationship with Him.

Lord, it has been some time since I was as committed about my relationship with You as I once was. Forgive me the adulteries of my heart when I chase after things that do not matter. Draw me once again into Your sacred heart. I long to burn with love for You. Amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.