Sunday, January 13, 2013

January 13 (Revelation 1:17)

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last.  (NIV)
The cost of everything continues to rise.  Along with prices, there is a steady and rapid increase in violence, injustice, and stress, and the natural response to all this is fear.  What would it be like to wake up and greet the day with bold confidence rather than grim anxiety?
Our fearfulness may be triggered by the conditions of our lives, but it stems from our self-sufficiency.  We are afraid that we cannot handle all that is coming our way, and we are right.  On our own, we can do nothing.  This is why we must, as John did on the island of Patmos, fall down at the feet of our Lord as though dead.  Our faith teaches us that through death comes life.  It is only when we have died to our own strength and resources that we can feel the comforting touch of Jesus and hear those words we long to hear.  “Do not be afraid.”
God has given you many abilities, but He never intended for you to use them apart from Him.  When the fear of life creeps in, do not try to be a hero and fight it back by yourself.  Lie down before Him, and He will raise you up with more hope and strength than you could ever have managed by yourself.
O Father, You know the things I am facing.  I would rather not look at them, but their images haunt me.  I surrender them along with myself to You.  Whom am I kidding?  I can handle none of this.  Lead me through these restless waters.  Walk with me along the way.  In You alone I place my trust.  Amen.
Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.