Sunday, March 10, 2013

March 10 (Genesis 1:1)

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (NIV)
Recent discoveries have revealed that this verse has been translated incorrectly.  It should read, “In the beginning you created the heavens and the earth.”  Obviously, this changes some things.  As the creator of all that exists, you have a responsibility to see that it all keeps running…all the time.  You have to carry it all on your shoulders.  You must do everything, or everything will fail.  Now, get going.
This may produce nervous laughter as we realize it is not what Scripture says, but if Genesis 1:1 is correct, then why do we live as if it were not?  This whole thing…life, the universe, everything…is God’s project from beginning to end.  He has involved you and me in that project and has given us certain tasks, but the enterprise is essentially His.
How would the simple truth of the first verse in the Bible change your life if you took it seriously?  What would you do, or better, what would you not do, if you realized that the world, even the smaller world of your friends and family, did not wholly depend on you?  How would your life change if you realized that even you do not wholly depend on you?

Father, I am not telling you anything You do not know when I say that I take on way too much.  Help me to trust that You are in charge and that I take my directions from you, not from myself.  Guide me as I do all, but only, what You want me to do.  In the name of Jesus, I pray.  Amen.

Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.