Sunday, March 31, 2013

March 31 (Matthew 14:29)


“Come,” he said.  Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.  (NIV)

Christ is risen!  He is risen indeed!  Now, then….  Whether it was the announcement of the Father that Jesus is His beloved Son or the episode on the Mount of Transfiguration, the life of Jesus shows us that moments of spiritual and emotional elation are quickly followed by getting back down to the task of living.  God desires our worship, and the praise we give Him this day is proper.  He deserves it.  If you really know Him, however, you know that He will not stay with you long at the party.

Can you not hear Jesus saying, “It is great that you are focused on my today, but what about tomorrow?  Will you keep your eyes on me when you go back to work, when you take the car in for what you hope is a simple tune up, when you are grocery shopping?”  Peter asked what we all ask.  He asked for Jesus to call him.  Okay, fine.  Jesus calls you.  Now what?

Peter was able to walk on water, despite the wind and waves, because he kept his eyes on Jesus.  It really is just that simple.  I don’t know about you, but I need to keep this Easter focus tomorrow.  And the next day.  And the day after that.  The great thing is that He will help even with this.

Lord, I truly do desire nothing but You.  I want You in my sight all the time.  Grant me the grace to turn neither to the right nor to the left, no matter how tempting or how frightening those things that appear around me.  Thank You for claiming me when You rose from the grave.  Amen.

Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.