Sunday, June 16, 2013

June 16 (James 1:27)

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.  (NIV)
To celebrate Fathers’ Day, our children surprised me by taking me to one of our favorite state parks for a day of hiking.  We hiked trails we had never been on before, enjoyed lunch at the park inn, and concluded the day with a show at the park’s planetarium.  All along I kept telling them that they really knew their daddy well.
How well do we know our Father in heaven?  Do we know Him well enough to do what means most to Him, what is closest to His heart?  He does not leave us guessing about this.  We may hope that a friend or relative likes the gift we have picked out, but Scripture makes it clear what God wants.  It is to serve those in need and to become ever more like Him.
So what are you getting your Father this Fathers’ Day?  Not only has He told you what He wants, He will help you do it.
O Lord, my God and my Father, thank You for all that You are and all that You do for me.  I want to make Your heart glad.  I want to serve You by serving Your children.  May You be honored and glorified in all that I do, say, and think.  In the name of Jesus, Who more than anyone else has showed me how to love You, amen.

Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.