Sunday, October 20, 2013

October 20 (Hebrews 12:1)

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,  (ESV)

I need all the encouragement I can get to live this Christian life, but then again, I get all the encouragement I need.  Hardly a day passes in which I do not see the hand of God moving in some gracious way.  Imagine that!  Here I am, a simple husband and dad, and I get to see the action of the Almighty!  Surely that would be enough to bear me up when I struggle, when I fear, and when I doubt.

On top of that, I have the stories of countless saints.  Scripture is filled with them, as are the annals of history.  These are the men, women, and children, the great and the small, who have tales of encouragement to share from their own direct experience with the same God I love and Who loves me.

May I suggest something?  When you are feeling overwhelmed and the pressures are building like a thunderhead, just stop.  Stop for a moment.  Shut everything off and out.  Reflect on what God has done in your life, likely that very day.  Contemplate the stories of those who have gone before.  You will feel strength rushing back to allow you to finish your race.
O Father, You have given me so much.  Day after day you guide and provide.  You give me more than I need to be what You want me to be.  Today I will draw my strength from You and all You have done.  In the name of Jesus, my Savior, amen.

Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.