Sunday, October 6, 2013

October 6 (2 Timothy 1:5)

I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.  (ESV)

October is Pastor Appreciation Month, and I recently posted on Facebook my gratitude to all the pastors and Sunday School teachers who helped lay the foundations for my faith.  In his second letter to Timothy, Paul acknowledges the two women who were so important in nurturing the faith of the young evangelist.

Who are those people for you?  Some of you may need to think back across many years and a long list of names.  Others may find the list of people and timeframe shorter.  No matter what your story with Christ, though, other people have been a part of it.  Take a moment to think of them and to thank God for them.  Then take another moment to thank them directly, if you can.

Those who follow Jesus must also be in that same work of nurturing the faith in others.  Whom are you influencing in a walk with Christ?  If you are not actively discipling someone, ask God to guide you into a deeper relationship with someone you know.  You do not need to go to the ends of the earth.  Lois discipled her grandson.
Father, thank You for those who have taught me, led me, encouraged me, mentored me, and discipled me along the way.  Bless them and strengthen them in their own faith.  Guide me to be that same kind of mentor in the life of someone else.  Amen.

Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.