Sunday, October 27, 2013

October 27 (1 Chronicles 22:5)

For David said, “Solomon my son is young and inexperienced, and the house that is to be built for the Lord must be exceedingly magnificent, of fame and glory throughout all lands. I will therefore make preparation for it.” So David provided materials in great quantity before his death.  (ESV)
This is one of my favorite verses.  It is tucked away in a larger passage about building the temple, and it is easy to focus on all the verses describing its magnificence, but take a closer look at this verse.  All the verses that talk about the collection of wood and silver and gold are the fulfillment of a father’s desire to provide for his son.
Many parents think that providing for their children means making sure they have enough food and clothes and a good education.  It means taking them to sports practices and arranging for birthday parties.  David knew there was more to it than that.  Being a parent means providing for a child’s call from God.  David knew that his son would be the one to build the temple, so he made sure Solomon had what he needed.
If you are a parent, are you preparing materials in great quantity for your children to fulfill their calling?  This may not take the form of stockpiling silver and gold.  It may mean training them for service by taking them to serve along with you.  It means making sure they know how to pray, how to worship, and how to study the Scriptures.  It certainly means making sure they know how to hear God’s voice.
Father, You have blessed me through so many people to do what You have called me to do.  I want to be about the business of equipping others for service.  Show me what those around me need to do the work You have given them, that I may help them accomplish it to Your glory.  In the name of Christ Jesus, my Lord, amen.

Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.