Sunday, November 10, 2013

November 10 (John 3:16)

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.  (ESV)

They say that familiarity breeds contempt.  It certainly gives rise to neglect.  The most famous verse in the Bible is one we too easily pass over.  We know what it says so well that we do not really know what it says.  It has become the foundation of our theology, but what does it really mean?

First of all, it says that God loves us.  Even this we have linguistically dissected to the point where it is just so many word roots lying cut up on the operating table.  We have heard that the original Greek for “love” means brotherly love, and so it does, but did you know it also means to caress and to cherish?  We have made something so lofty of this verse, so out of reach that we have forgotten that love reaches down from on high to embrace us.  Take away the exalted, theological sentiment for a moment and think about good, old-fashioned love.  Remember what that is?  That is how God feels about you.

How does that make you feel?  Seriously, what do you think about that?  If this were the person you had longed to notice you, you know exactly how you would react.  You would be on the moon.

God, it is so hard for me to grasp that You love me.  Maybe it is the enemy getting in the way.  Maybe it is just too big for my mind to grasp.  Open my heart and bypass my mind so that I may be filled with the love You promise.  In the name of the One Who brings that love, Jesus, I pray.  Amen.
Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.