Sunday, December 8, 2013

December 8 (Revelation 1:8)

“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”  (ESV)

We all tend to focus on Jesus as a baby at Christmas, but go the other direction for a moment.  Just try to grasp how big He is.  You will not be successful, but try it anyhow.

Jesus spoke reality into existence.  His word brought about the Higgs boson, quarks, and atoms.  He spoke, and there was gravity.  The pull of the moon that causes tides in our oceans, that was His creation.  Distance so great it can only be measured in light years is contained in His speech.  Unfathomable does not even come close to expressing the inadequacy of our words to describe the Word of God, Who chose to become flesh.

You think Christmas is about your card and gift list?  Turn off the noise of your life for a few minutes and stand next to the immensity of Jesus.  Let your body, mind, and soul become lost in Him.  Now you are ready to worship the babe in the manger.

All I am and ever hope to do and be is nothing compared with You, O Lord.  Yet I offer all that I am and ever hope to do and be as my gift to You, not because it is a gift of significance, but because in the light of Your majesty, I can do no other.  Amen.

Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.