Sunday, December 1, 2013

December 1 (Luke 17:11)

“Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.”  (ESV)

Ten lepers cried out to Jesus, but they used an interesting word for “master.”  Rather than use the typical Greek word kurie, they used epistata, a word that meant one who stands over, like a commander.  Indeed, Jesus does stand over all of creation.  He is the Word through Whom creation itself was spoken into existence.

Yet if we go back another level in the etymology, we see that the word means, at its root, one who stands near.  Jesus is the Lord and Master Who stands near us, Who is by our side even in moments of greatest suffering and need.

I don’t know about you, but for me, that is someone to cry out to.  I want to cry out to someone who is above me, someone who can actually do something to help.  I also want to cry out to someone who is with me, someone who understands because he is in the thick of it at my side.
Jesus, I need You.  I need You in so many ways I cannot list them all.  I need You in ways I do not even know, ways known only to You.  Have mercy on me, Epistata.

Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.