Sunday, January 26, 2014

January 26 (2 Chronicles 30:10)

So the couriers went from city to city through the country of Ephraim and Manasseh, and as far as Zebulun, but they laughed them to scorn and mocked them.  (ESV)

King Hezekiah’s first order of business after taking the throne of Judah was to repair the temple.  When that was done, he sent messengers throughout the land inviting people to celebrate the Passover, which no one had done in a long time.  Many came, but many laughed at his invitation.

Not much has changed since the ancient days.  Some hear the call of God and respond with joy while others laugh it to scorn.  It is easy to get discouraged, especially if our primary windows on the world are social media, websites, and television.  Many will laugh at the invitation to worship God.  It happened in the days of Hezekiah and it certainly happens today.

Facebook posts are not the final arbiter of what we should do.  Scripture teaches and the saints model that we are to take the word of God to the world.  What people do with that word is their choice, just as it is ours.

Lord, help me not to be intimidated by those who mock You and Your word.  You are my rock and my salvation.  Through Your grace, may I have the courage to live boldly so that others may come to know You.  In the name of Christ Jesus, my Savior, amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.