Sunday, January 5, 2014

January 5 (Philippians 3:14)

I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.  (ESV)

What distracts you from your focus on Jesus?  For me it can be just about anything.  I enjoy a good life, which means that there are many things to distract me, from my passions and desires to material things like books and social media and music and television and sports and….  You get the idea.

On the other hand, there is nothing like a blinding rain or snow storm to sharpen my focus in a hurry.  I am hunched over the steering wheel, straining to keep the center line of the road in sight

When the stresses and challenges of life come your way, embrace them as opportunities to sharpen your focus on Christ.  At the same time, be careful of seasons of peace and prosperity.  They are often filled with the most tempting distractions.


Lord, as I head into this new year, I want to live a life of peaceful focus on You rather than the life of hurried distraction that is so typical of living life my way.  Help me in that, I pray, so that like Paul I, too, may press on toward the goal of Christ Jesus, in Whose name I ask it.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.