Sunday, February 2, 2014

February 2 (2 Chronicles 31:20-21)

Thus Hezekiah did throughout all Judah, and he did what was good and right and faithful before the Lord his God.  And every work that he undertook in the service of the house of God and in accordance with the law and the commandments, seeking his God, he did with all his heart, and prospered.  (ESV)

This is what I want on my tombstone.  I can only hope that the person delivering my eulogy will be able to say something like this about me.  Can you imagine coming to the end of your life and knowing that you will be remembered for doing what was good, right, and faithful before God?  Truly, that is what I want more than anything else.

So how did King Hezekiah rate such a remembrance?  Everything he did was in the service of God.  He sought the Lord in all things and did everything with his whole heart.

And this is why I know I have a way to go to get to Hezekiah’s level of faithfulness.  Many things I do are for my own service, and I do few things with my whole heart.  Too often I am distracted and do things halfheartedly at best.  Are you on a path to be remembered as Hezekiah was?

Father, I really do want to do all and only the things that please You.  Help me to focus on You and Your will.  I am so easily distracted by things that do not truly matter.  Help me do only the things that are good, right, and faithful and to do them with all my heart.  In the name of Jesus, my Lord, amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.