Sunday, February 23, 2014

February 23 (John 8:36)

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.  (ESV)

Jesus has set me free from both the penalty of sin, which is death, and from the burden of its guilt.  The choice to walk in the freedom is entirely mine.

In what can only be described as moments of insanity, I choose to live my life as a slave to fear, stress, anger, worry, guilt, greed, and the very sin nature from which Jesus has set me free.  This truly makes no sense.  After the doctor removed the cast, would I choose to walk with crutches?  Would I continue to give the bank money after my mortgage had been paid?  Of course there are things in our lives that tempt us to fear, stress, and all the other things that have bound us, but we simply do not have to yield to them.  Satan wants us to believe that we must wrestle with this or that, that we should go ahead and give in to a certain behavior.  Jesus stands with His hands spread before us and reminds us it does not have to be that way.

Jesus has set you free from both the penalty of sin, which is death, and from the burden of its guilt.  The choice to walk in the freedom is entirely yours.


Jesus, it is so easy for me to revert to old ways of living.  Help me to walk in the power of the freed life You have given me.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.