Sunday, February 16, 2014

February 16 (2 Chronicles 32:18)

And they shouted it with a loud voice in the language of Judah to the people of Jerusalem who were on the wall, to frighten and terrify them, in order that they might take the city.  (ESV)

The Assyrians were attacking Judah, and what did they do?  They spoke in the language of Judah and said things to scare the people.

What scares you?  For me it can be the long list of things I have to do.  It can be financial matters, concerns about things that are out of my control, or deadlines.  It is likely that what scares you does not scare me, and vice versa.  Satan knows this.  He may be evil, but he is not stupid.  He knows just the things to say to each of us in order to frighten us and move us farther from God.

The great thing is that God knows what scares us, too.  He has known about our fear of the dark when we were children, our fear of rejection as teenagers, and our fears about job and family today.  Satan may try to speak our language of fear, but we also speak the language of faith.  When the fears come, take them to the Lord.  He will comfort you as no one else can.

Father, it is easy for me to get caught in a web of fear.  I think things are going okay, and then something comes out of nowhere to wreck me.  Help me to listen to Your words of truth and life.  I want to listen to no one’s voice but Yours.  In the name of Jesus, I pray.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.