Sunday, April 20, 2014

April 20 (Job 1:20)

Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped.  (ESV)

I doubt that…  I am not sure that…  Worship would not be the first thing on my mind after learning that I had just lost my job and that my children had tragically died.  Tearing my clothes and pulling out my hair?  That would be reasonable.  Worshiping God?  Or as it says in the next two verses, blessing His name and not accusing Him of anything?  I would more likely do the exact opposite.

Yet Job is the example of how a man or woman of God should respond to adversity.  It may be difficult to relate to Jesus on the cross or even the glory of today, Easter Sunday.  That may be too far beyond our ability to comprehend.  Yet the sufferings of Job are the sufferings we see in friends and family.  We may even have experienced them ourselves.

How did Job keep his faith and honor God in suffering?  He did it the same way Jesus did it and the same way you and I can do it.  He surrendered it all to God.  He did not deny his human feelings.  He wept and mourned.  Yet as a man of God, he did what only faith allows.  He put praise on his lips instead of a curse.

Almighty God, thank You this day for the glorious resurrection of our Lord, Jesus Christ.  May His faithfulness and the faithfulness of all the saints who have gone before me strengthen me for the challenges I face.  In the midst of battle, may I stand as one already victorious in Him.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.