Sunday, May 11, 2014

May 11 (1 Corinthians 2:2)

For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.  (ESV)

I have not been diagnosed with ADD, but sometimes I wonder.  As I like to tell people, I am just interested in a lot of things all at the same time.  I really do find life vastly interesting and find myself wanting to do this, that, and the other thing pretty much all the time.  Added to my natural wiring are the demands placed on me by job, family, and friends, and life quickly comes, as William James once said, “a great blooming, buzzing confusion.” Know the feeling?

Paul has a simple antidote.  When he went to the people of Corinth, he did not go armed with sophisticated arguments and the most intricate philosophy.  He did not pack a multi-media extravaganza of a presentation as we would likely feel the need to do today.  He had one message, and that was Christ crucified.

Can you unplug sometime today or this week?  Can you disconnect from electronics, people, and things to spend a few minutes with Christ and Him crucified?  I know I need to.  I desperately need to set aside all that I love for a few minutes with the One  Who truly loves me.  What is really stopping me?  What is stopping you?


Jesus, I am sorry for my rudeness to You and my neglect of our relationship.  I let so many other things get in the way.  Thank You for being there and waiting for me.  I want to spend some time just with You.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.