Sunday, May 25, 2014

May 25 (Mark 9:24)

Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!”  (ESV)

I love the old church songs, classics like “Borrow my life and let it be, sometimes, partially for thee.”  I well remember “Some to Jesus I surrender, I surrender some.”  Even little children know “Jesus loves me, I guess so.”

If we were honest with ourselves, those are the lyrics we would sing.  The originals, of course, are more certain, more convinced and convincing.  Sometimes, however, I do not want to surrender my entire life to Jesus and yes, even as a Christian, there are times when I doubt His love.  I am human, just like the man in the verse for today.  Yet unlike so many of us, who feel we need to save face and pretend a perfect Christian walk 24/7, he cried out in his unbelief and in so doing showed real faith.

If your Christian friends and family were not around, if it were just you and Jesus in the privacy of your heart, what would you say to Him?  Trust me, there is no hurt, anger, frustration, fear, doubt, hesitation, or question that He has not heard.  On top of that, there is not one of those that He does not already know you are hiding in your heart.

Jesus, I want to take off the fancy outfit for a moment and be real with You.  To be honest, I am a bit scared.  I am so used to maintaining this façade.  Will You hear me as I share my heart now with You?

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.