Sunday, June 1, 2014

June 1 (Job 27:6-7)


[T]ill I die I will not remove mine integrity from me.  My righteousness I hold fast, and will not let it go: my heart shall not reproach me so long as I live.  (KJV)

This is how I want to live.  Job has suffered mightily, but he simply will not give up or give in.  He will not do anything that would damage his integrity and righteousness. 

My dad’s mother used to talk about the importance of a person’s good name.  What do people think of when they hear your name?  For more than two thousand years Job has been known for his patient suffering and unwillingness to sin in hardship.  His righteousness and integrity have survived intact.

Free will is a wonderful and terrifying gift.  We have the freedom to do what we want, but then again, we have the freedom to do what we want.  The choice is ours.  Whether it is suffering or temptation that confronts us, we can, if we want, stand with Job and hold onto our righteousness and integrity.  We can also throw it all away.


Dear God, give me the strength of Job.  I want to maintain the purity that is mine through You.  Jesus has cleansed me of my sin.  Help me say no to all the opportunities I have to stain myself with it again.  In the strong name of Christ Jesus I pray.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.