Sunday, June 29, 2014

June 29 (Acts 1:12)

Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day's journey away.  (ESV)

This hardly seems like a verse on which to base a devotion.  It certainly is no John 3:16 and seems to serve no more purpose than to give the setting for whatever is the really important message.  Yet in this verse is an important key to living the Christian life…obedience.

Go back and read the first eleven verses of Acts 1.  You will see that Jesus had appeared to the apostles after His resurrection.  In verse 4 He told them not to leave Jerusalem, explained some things about the Holy Spirit, and then ascended into heaven.  After this heavy hitting passage, the very next thing Scripture tells us is that the apostles did exactly as Jesus had told them.  They went back to Jerusalem.  They obeyed Him in this simple, seemingly trivial instruction.

We all want burning bush, Damascus road experiences.  We want grand messages from God.  Do not overlook the little things.  What simple thing has God asked of you that you were too busy to notice?  Jesus told the apostles to stay in Jerusalem, and they did.  That is the Christian life.

Lord, as I strain my eyes into the distance for some grand vision, help me not to miss what is right at my feet.  Quiet my spirit so I may hear truly from You.  Help me be quick to obey, even in the small things.  In the name of Jesus, Who was obedient even unto death, I pray.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.