Sunday, June 22, 2014

June 22 (Matthew 12:49)

And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers!”  (ESV)

Our son and daughter have many nicknames around our house.  One for our daughter is “Sissy” because she is her brother’s sister.  Recently, she referred to my wife as Sissy, and this caused us to pause a moment.  With the patience of a nine year old who has to explain the obvious to rather dim adults, she said, “She is my sister in Christ.”

Our relationship with Jesus not only trumps all others, it redefines them.  Coworkers and strangers become family.  People who have hurt us become those we love.

If this is true, and it is, how would it change the way you look at others?  Think for a moment about that co-worker you do not really like.  Picture the politician you love to rail against.  Call to mind all those you avoid, gossip about, or malign.  Now think of all of them as brothers and sisters in Christ.  Ouch.  It makes a difference, doesn’t it?


Lord, You have called me Your brother and friend, yet I treat other members of our family, well, You know.  Help me to love as You do, Jesus.  It does not come easily to me.  In Your name I pray, amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.