Sunday, June 15, 2014

June 15 (Psalm 22:3)

You are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel.  (ESV)

I was driving with our son recently, and we were listening to one of my favorite albums from back in the day, Steve Camp’s 1983 Fire and Ice.  When the song “It is Good” came on, I was struck by the huge contrast between secular and Christian music…once again.  The message of the song is to praise God even, or especially, when you don’t feel like it.  Contrast that with Elton John’s “Sad Songs,” which advises that when all hope is gone we should “tune in and turn them on.”

Don’t get me wrong.  I love plenty of secular music.  Yet this is a clear example of how differently the world looks at things.  When I am down I should listen to sad songs?  Really?  That may seem like the right thing to do, and praising God when you are down is certainly not intuitive and takes some work.  Scripture tells us, however, that God inhabits the praises of His people.  Does it not actually make more sense to have your loving Father with you when all hope seems gone?

Try it.  As Amy Grant sang, “Sing your praise to the Lord.  I can never tell you how much good that it’s going to do you.”

God, I will praise You when things are good and I will praise You when things are bad.  Your praise will be in my heart and on my lips when I awake and when I lie down.  May my life proclaim Your praise forever!

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.