Sunday, February 22, 2015

February 22 (Philippians 3:14)

I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.  (ESV)

I am blessed to still read to each of our children, son 14 and daughter 10, at bedtime.  I had recently had a late night and probably should not have read at all, but I agreed to read just little.  The chapter in the book I was reading our son was a great battle scene in which swords were flashing and the contest between good and evil uncertain.  At the midpoint, I realized how long the chapter was and closed the book, promising to finish the next night.

Our son leapt up and declared the obvious.  You can’t stop in the middle of a battle, he said, pointing out that you would never pause Gladiator, Braveheart, or Troy in the middle.  Smiling from ear to ear at the wisdom of our son, I pulled out the bookmark and finished the chapter.

Out of the mouths of babes.  Our son was right, and so was Paul.  The Christian life can be a battle.  Sometimes it is the battle against temptation and our own sins.  It is also the battle against sin out in the world, the challenges of witnessing for Christ, and the daily grind of following in our Lord’s footsteps again today the same as yesterday and the day before.  It is a battle that we must not quit in the middle.

Jesus, when I get overwhelmed by the battles of life and just want to quit the good fight, help me to remember that You saw Your battle all the way from the cross to glory.  Help me see my battles through with Your strength.  Amen.

Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.