Sunday, March 1, 2015

March 1 (Psalm 119:5)

Oh that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes!  (ESV)

What makes it onto your prayer list?  I pray for family and friends and for the needs of my day.  I pray for friends of friends when I am aware of their needs and I pray for larger issues in the world around.  Fundamentally, though, I am praying for one thing.  God, help!  Life is challenging beyond our ability to handle it on our own.  It seems like an ongoing prayer just to ask for God’s help getting through the next minute.

But what if…?  What if for one fleeting moment our focus was not on our own needs?  What if we looked up from the struggles of life to focus on God?  Could you imagine loving Him so much that your prayer was a heartfelt plea to be faithful to His word?  Seriously, think about that.  Most of the time I am asking God to help me achieve my will.  What if I prayed for help to do His?

God wants us to share with Him our needs.  He invites us to cast our cares upon Him.  At the same time, a relationship is a two way street.  If we are in a relationship with Him, it only makes sense that we would want He wants, too.

Father, thank You for always being there to hear me when I call.  Today I ask also that You give me the strength and the grace to be steadfast in keeping Your statutes.  I want what You want.  Amen.

Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.