Sunday, March 22, 2015

March 22 (Amos 5:4)

For thus says the Lord to the house of Israel:  “Seek me and live.”  (ESV)
God is mysterious, for who could ever understand His love for sinners?  Yet He is also simple.  He is direct, bold, and clear.  “Seek me and live.”  We complicate matters.  We construct elaborate theories and philosophies.  We create labyrinthine bureaucracies and oh, how we love policies!  And while we spend our lives running around the mazes of our own construction, God waits patiently for us to realize the truth.
“Seek me and live.”  You may think this does not apply to you.  You are a baptized, Bible-believing, church-attending, serving-the-needy Christian.  Stop for just one moment and look at your life and see which metaphor fits it better.  Are you an eagle, soaring on the winds, or a rat scrambling through the maze?
“Seek me and live,” says God, the Father Who loves you and sent His son to rescue you from your sins and your sin nature and indeed from the fallen creation into which you were born.  As the old hymn puts, “Turn your eyes upon Jesus.  Look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace.”
Father, I seek You today because I want to live.  I claim Your promise that those who seek You will find You.  I deliberately choose the life obtained for me by the death of my Savior, Your Son, Jesus Christ, and live that life in the gentle guidance of Your Holy Spirit.  Amen.

Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

1 comment:

  1. I've struggled with depression for years and am currently in the middle of a particularly bad episode. Yesterday I caught up on my Lenten devotional, spending several hours in the Word. I wanted to feel something other than depressed, but nothing happened. I know God is the only one who can get me through this, but I can't seem to find him. I don't know what else to do.

    ReplyDelete

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.