Sunday, March 8, 2015

March 8 (Psalm 119:54)

Your statutes have been my songs in the house of my sojourning.  (ESV)

People do not write songs about the Constitution of the United States.  I know of no song writer who has looked at the Indiana code of law and said, “Now here is some some great lyrical material for my next album!”  Yet how many songs do we know that are based on or taken directly from the words of Scripture?

There is Christian rock, Christian rap, Christian metal, Christian blues.  There are praise songs, gospel, southern gospel, and contemporary pop Christian music.  What unifies these genres?  It is their lyrics.   They all sing about themes inspired by or drawn straight from the Bible.  And then there are the hymns.  I love the great, old time hymns of our faith.  From my childhood to adult life, they have been the songs of my sojourn.

Let Christian music fill your car as you drive.  Keep it on your phone for when you go to the gym or work around the house.  Find the Christian artists in the musical styles that you like.  Soak up the great hymns.  Let His statutes be the songs of your life.

Lord, thank You for gifting musicians to play and sing about You.  I need them.  I need their words, which are really Your words, and I need their music.  Bless all artists who serve You with the talents You have given them.  In the name of Christ Jesus, I pray.  Amen.

Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.